The formula for being a successful real estate agent is simple. Applying it on a consistent basis is the tricky part!
While there are many unique aspects to succeeding in real estate sales, there are certain fundamental success principles which form the bedrock of any successful endeavor — whether it’s in business, sports, or career advancement.
The four cornerstones of being a successful real estate agent are essentially determination, persistence, mental focus, and expertise. The good news is that all those factors of success are completely under your control. (It’s not necessarily easy, but if it was, everyone would be doing it!)
How to Be Successful in Real Estate
Besides making sure that you’re affiliated with a real estate agency that supports your professional growth and provides guidance when you need it, here are some other strategies to help you achieve success in the real estate field.
- Do a self assessment. If your goal is to be a successful real estate agent or Realtor, then there’s no room for ambivalence. If you’re “on the fence” about a career in real estate, then, in all likelihood, you may not have the resolve, the focus, and the commitment to become a successful real estate agent. By taking time to identify and clarify your personal values, you can make sure you’re being true to to your own ideals and pursuing a career path and lifestyle that’s meaningful to you. If you’re willing to take the time to do this, there’s a set of helpful worksheets at Thehappinesstrap.com. I learned about this free resource through a book I read, recently, called The Confidence Gap, by Russ Harris.
- Establish successful habits. To quote the motivational writer Og Mandino in his classic book The Greatest Salesman In The World: “In truth, the only difference between those who have failed and those who have succeeded lies in the difference of their habits. Good habits are the key to all success. Bad habits are the unlocked door to failure. Thus, the first law I will obey, which precedeth all others is — I will form good habits and become their slaves.” If you’ve been looking for effective ways to train and condition your mind for success, this book, which I believe was first published in 1981, contains a powerful method for creating successful mental habits.
- Develop exquisite “people skills.” Arguably, the premier authority on human relations and personal magnetism was Dale Carnegie, the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People (a must read for all real estate agents). His books offer a wealth of wisdom and motivation on what it takes to succeed in real estate, sales, marketing, business management, politics, public relations, consulting, the legal profession, and just about any other people-oriented business or career you can imagine. One of my favorite Dale Carnegie quotes is this: “You can make more friends in two months by being interested in other people than in two years of trying to get people interested in you.” I also like this other quote, which applies rather directly to being successful as a real estate agent or Realtor: “If you want to win friends, make it a point to remember them. If you remember my name, you pay me a subtle compliment; you indicate that I have made an impression on you. Remember my name and you add to my feeling of importance.” Simple, but powerful advice!
- Focus on continuous improvement. No matter how good you are, there’s always room for improvement — especially in a highly competitive and ever-changing profession like real estate sales. By setting an unwavering goal to be the most knowledgeable, service-oriented, and results-oriented real estate professional in your market area, mediocrity is impossible and success is virtually inevitable. NOTE: If you’re looking for ways to improve the results and ROI of your post card marketing campaigns, for example, visit “Real Estate Postcard Marketing’s Best Kept Secrets“*
- Self motivation is crucial to being successful in real estate. One of my favorite passages from the motivational book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a powerful affirmation designed to compel yourself to repeatedly take action toward the attainment of a goal: “I know that I have the ability to achieve the object of my definite purpose in life; therefore, I demand of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment, and I here and now promise to render such action.” His self-confidence formula consists of four additional steps, based on the principles of autosuggestion and the workings of the subconscious mind. I often refer to my copy of Think and Grow Rich, whenever I need motivation, inspiration, or personal empowerment.
- Excellent time management is vital to real estate success. By recognizing which tasks and objectives are the most (and least) productive, you can avoid “reinventing the wheel” and focus your energy where it will do the most good. You can accomplish that in a number of ways, such as automating your email marketing, using professional templates for creating prospecting letters and real estate marketing flyers, and getting the most mileage from your postcard marketing campaigns. Controlling interruptions, limiting unproductive social networking activities online, and creating a daily list of tasks and objectives can also help you stay on track toward your success goals.
The foundation of being successful in real estate is an unquenchable thirst to help people find the home (or buyer) to meet their needs, continually develop expertise as a real estate professional, and achieve financial goals. If you can enjoy the process of doing all that and keeping your eye on prize, so to speak, then success is virtually guaranteed.
Thank you for checking out my latest blog post on how to become a successful real estate agent or Realtor. Feel free to “follow” this blog for email notifications on future blog posts.
Best of luck in all your real estate marketing pursuits!
“Marketing Survival Kit.com”
- Advertise on Zillow* to set yourself apart from the competition, reach out to buyers and sellers in your local market, generate more leads, and raise your visibility online.
- 101 Ways to Generate Buyer and Seller Leads (A proven system* for finding real estate clients on a consistent basis)
*FYI: My blog posts often feature links to products and services for which I am a compensated affiliate.